1. Heat oven at 375°F. Lightly coat a 4 or 5 cup souffle or casserole dish with oil or butter.
2. Warm milk or half and half in a saucepan until tiny bubbles form near edges of pan (do not boil).
3. Gently stir in cornmeal and salt; reduce heat to low.
4. Let cook for 10 minutes, or until cornmeal has thickened, stirring from bottom periodically.
5. Mix in cream style corn.
6. Stir in sugar and butter; remove from heat once butter has melted.
7. Beat egg yolks (until thick and light in color) in a large bowl. Use a whisk to add hot cornmeal.
8. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites for 1 minute. Sprinkle cream of tartar on top and beat until stiff peaks form.
Note: Egg whites should remain shiny and should not separate into chunks; if they become dull, they have been overbeaten.
9. Gently fold the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture. Pour mixture to baking dish and smooth with spatula.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden and knife comes out clean after inserting in center.